- Our wikis work out-of-the-box. You get a fully functional wiki in under 5 minutes. You don't need to spend hours configuring it; it just works! Start using your wiki immediately.
- We're a professional wiki host. We are ran by a registered company based in the United States. Everyone working on your wiki is a hired professional, not a volunteer. We offer SLAs and take technical support very seriously.
- We've been doing this for a long time. We've been around for a while. We started in February 2012. During our existence, we've watched other wiki hosts come and go within a year or two. We are very responsible with our finances and careful with how we spend money. We're not going anywhere, and you don't have to worry about migrating away from us.
- Our prices are the most affordable. Among professional wiki hosts, we consistently offer the lowest priced plans. That's a known fact that even our competitors know, and they can't beat our pricing, nor offer the same amount of features we do. Here's our latest comparison.
- Our prices are predictable. No surprise bills after you added 1,000 new users to your wiki. MyWikis doesn't limit how many users or pages you have on your wiki, on any of our plans.
- We have secret sauces. We're not just another wiki host. We write our own code and invest into the development of our custom platform to make your wiki experience the best it can possibly be.
- We make your wiki immediately. Your wiki is created automatically, and it only takes 5 minutes maximum from start to finish. But don't fear, we're not robots. Our support team adds a personal touch to make sure your wiki has everything it needs to succeed.
- We make your requests come true. Our resources enable us to offer you customization that other wiki hosts can't, especially things community-ran wiki hosts can't offer.
- We don't run ads or put our branding on your wiki. We don't believe in running ads. Your wiki's webpages remain absent of any reference to MyWikis.
- We're built to support privacy by default. While other wiki hosts force you to use their centralized user account systems and can't offer actual private wikis, our wikis are completely separate from each other. In fact, each wiki has different settings and different privacy levels. However, we always maintain distance between different wikis on our platform.
- We use the best technology there is. We use the fastest servers on the market, with Intel Xeon E5 processors running on multiple cores, super-fast RAM, and lightning-quick SSD storage. We leverage multiple cloud services to scale our services and ensure greater reliability. We never sacrifice performance for price.
Why choose MyWikis over Miraheze?
- We've been around much longer. Miraheze was founded in 2015, while we were founded in 2012. We began turning a profit in late 2013, and have been profitable every month since.
- We're run by professionals. Miraheze is ran by unpaid volunteers from their community. The community also governs itself, creating a complicated set of rules and restrictions. MyWikis is a registered company whose focus is to provide you with the best quality support, not to make decisions about what you can and can't do. Our software engineers have degrees in computer science from the top computer science universities in the world. We also pay all of our employees a fair market wage.
- We run on consistent revenue streams. While Miraheze has to hope every year that donations will cover all of their operating expenses, and has very few assets, MyWikis has consistent annual revenues—magnitudes larger than that of Miraheze, a healthy balance sheet, and capable of sustaining continued, carefully-planned investment in infrastructure improvements and professional software development.
- We have more resources than them. Miraheze admits to struggles with expanding their infrastructure due to budget constraints. For instance, they have publicly stated they can't install CirrusSearch due to the cost. These concerns simply don't exist at MyWikis, where not only can we pay for our server bills, we're able to make investments for the future.
- We have fewer restrictions. Miraheze places a large list of restrictions, often hidden to the wiki owner until they do more research and realize they can't run their wiki the way they want to. At MyWikis, we try to avoid restrictions whenever possible, and always try to find you better alternatives or work to make it work when we find out something won't work.
- We create your wiki instantly. Miraheze requires wikis to be approved before they are created. This means not only do you not get immediate access to your wiki, your wiki might also never be created, and is at the mercy of community-appointed volunteers.
Why choose MyWikis over Wiki Valley?
- Our pricing doesn't increase by number of users. Our pricing stays the same regardless of how many users you have. At MyWikis, you get unlimited pages, unlimited users, and unlimited bandwidth. For wikis with 10 users, MyWikis wikis cost 90% less than a Wiki Valley wiki.
- We've been around much longer. MyWikis began operations many years earlier than Wiki Valley.
- Our pricing doesn't differ by privacy level. A private wiki and a public wiki cost the same at MyWikis. For the price of a public wiki at Wiki Valley, you can get a MyWikis wiki with many more features.
- Our wikis have Self Service capabilities. MyWikis's Self Service portal allows you to customize your wiki easily and quickly, without having to contact human support.
- We create your wiki instantly. Wiki Valley has to approve your wiki subscription before proceeding. Meanwhile, you can get your wiki in as soon as 1-2 minutes at MyWikis.
Why choose MyWikis over other wiki hosts with prices above $50/mo?
- MyWikis passes on the savings to you. Your wiki will get the same resources at a fraction of the cost. We've implemented shared optimization across all wikis in order to speed up page load times.
- We don't oversell you. Pay for only what you need. If you have fewer than 10,000 users and fewer than 100,000 pages, there is no reason why you would need a platform that costs >$100/mo.
- We don't nickel-and-dime you. Customizing your wiki shouldn't cost anything additional. Get quality support included with your subscription at no extra cost.
- We create your wiki instantly. These companies do not create your wiki automatically, whereas you'll get your wiki within 5 minutes at MyWikis.
Why choose MyWikis over Confluence?
- We're affordable yet comprehensive. MyWikis plans cost much less than Confluence does, but we offer the same features on MediaWiki.
- We bill by the month, not by usage. You can have as many uses and pages you want on your wiki; we don't charge extra for more users or more pages.
- Easier to administer than Confluence. Our custom-built Self Service portal is unique to MyWikis. While MediaWiki is usually hard to configure, MyWikis makes it so easy for you.
- We have a nicer WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) editor. The new VisualEditor is faster than ever, with more features than previously. It beats out Confluence in terms of ease to use and page loading speed.
- We install the best search engines. MediaWiki out-of-the-box search might not be the best, but we are moving towards using Elasticsearch-based search, which has provided positive improvement towards Wikipedia providing relevant search queries.
- Our wikis run faster than Confluence. Confluence is an old, slow, janky product. The level of optimization MyWikis achieves, including the MediaWiki and PHP optimizations made in the past several years, have made Confluence slower than MediaWiki on average. Stop forcing your employees to wait for the page to load or save. MyWikis makes it happen instantly.
Why choose MyWikis over other hosts with lower hosting prices?
- Our specialty is MediaWiki hosting. Other hosts do not specialize in MediaWiki, or even wikis at all. In fact, they are just regular hosts that sell web space to host your MediaWiki.
- We have painless setup and configuration. Their "automated" setup tools might not be so easy to use, and it's difficult to configure your wiki's LocalSettings.php file after it's set up. With MyWikis, skip the FTP accounts and the MySQL database configuration. Everything just works out of the box.
- We optimize better than they do. We solely focus on MediaWiki hosting, so our infrastructure is hyperoptimized for MediaWiki. You'll get faster load speeds and better functionality by using MyWikis. Their infrastructure is generic and is designed to run everybody's workloads, so your MediaWiki instance will likely run slower on their hosting than on MyWikis.
- We use higher quality servers than they do. MyWikis uses Intel Xeon E5 multicore processors, PCIe RAM, and fast SSD storage drives. All the latest technology to make sure your website never hangs.
- We are qualified to assist with MediaWiki. We don't just provide general hosting support. Our staff have on average 10 years of experience in MediaWiki.
- We leverage the cloud for parts of your wiki. In order to improve the quality of your wiki using experience, we've moved emails and media storage to the cloud in order to improve the quality of these services. Best of all, no extra setup needed on your side to make this work. And everyone gets generous allowances for storage on their plan.
- We have the small details covered. Sometimes, special software is needed to run specific parts of MediaWiki. Shared hosts might not install it, and they won't let you install anything either. We not only install it, we optimize it.
- MyWikis saves you time. Compared to other hosts, MyWikis eliminates many hours of lost productivity by doing everything for you already. Recover lost hours and get back to doing what you need to do.
|Step #||Wiki creation process at MyWikis||Wiki creation process at other hosts with automatic setup||Wiki creation process at other hosts without automatic setup|
|1||Choose a plan||Choose a plan||Choose a plan|
|2||Customize your wiki details (1-2 minutes)||Create account credentials and pay for your new plan (2 minutes)||Create account credentials and pay for your new plan (2 minutes)|
|3||Create account credentials and pay for your new plan (2 minutes)||Log in to the hosting panel (1 minute)||Log in to the hosting panel (1 minute)||4||Wiki is created automatically with built-in extensions and configuration (1-2 minutes)||Create your new site and specify domain name (2 minutes)||Create your new site and specify domain name (2 minutes)|
|5||Done! Enjoy your wiki!||Find the automatic installer and customize your wiki details (2-3 minutes)||Create MySQL database and get FTP details (2-5 minutes)|
|6||Optional: Link your custom domain, or install extensions automatically via Self Service||Wiki is created by their script (2-5 minutes)||Log in to FTP (2 minutes)|
|7||Reconfigure wiki settings, add extensions (10 minutes-5+ hours)||Copy MediaWiki files into directory (2 minutes)|
|8||Find FTP credentials and log in to FTP (5 minutes)||Set up MediaWiki using install tool (5-10 minutes)|
|9||Done? Enjoy your wiki, until the next configuration nightmare...||Upload LocalSettings.php to FTP (2 minutes)|
|10||Configure wiki settings, add extensions (10 minutes-5+ hours)|
|Total time spent||Between 4 to 6 minutes||Between 24 minutes to 5+ hours||Between 28 minutes to 5+ hours|
Why choose MyWikis over self-hosting a wiki?
You certainly can get your own wiki! However, getting a wiki up and running is not as easy as it sounds.
- MediaWiki is an extremely powerful wiki engine (after all, it powers Wikipedia!), and thus can be difficult to set up.
- While the MediaWiki set up process is not too difficult, the addition of extensions necessary to make the wiki functional can be particularly challenging and time consuming.
- In particular, addition of features necessary for many companies, such as single sign on (SSO), data privacy guarantees, and visual editing, are the most difficult to configure correctly.
- Running a MediaWiki instance properly requires lots of experience.
- Rather than investing weeks, if not months, on perfecting your wiki setup, why not cut it down to a matter of minutes? At MyWikis, we not only create your wiki immediately after sign-up, we also bundle all of the essential extensions with your wiki. We also provide recommendations on how you can improve your wiki, achievable through one-click installs of additional extensions.
If you're interested in what we have to offer, check out our plans below: